The desired outcome of this message is to give a new perspective on baring the fruit of the spirit. This is not a salvation message but is about what happens after salvation using a story normally associated with salvation.
Genesis 3:6-7; 3:21
Gal 5:22-23; 24-25
It’s important for the members to feel comfortable, relaxed and open to share as this topic requires introspection and sharing of personal experience.
An icebreaker that leads members to laugh together is recommended.
The uGroup leader must develop his own revelation and substance around the word, this will guide him/her with some thought points. This topic works well when you can engage the members through asking questions. The leader needs to put in some time to think this one through as it can be tricky.
The leader will attempt the desired outcome by using relevant scripture and using these two stories:
1) Adam and Eve (signifying our fleshly nature) who ate the fruit of the tree (worldly fruit) and left them naked, afraid and covering themselves with fig leaves. Later God killed an animal and covered them with the skin of an animal.
2) Jesus saw a fig tree bearing leaves and no fruit (like Adam and Eve) and rebuked it. He was in Jerusalem where He would soon after be crucified and cover us who believe with salvation (skin of the animal).
The members need to realize that they can only bare fruit if they pick up their crosses daily by denying themselves (Jesus rebuking the unfruitful fig tree) and walking in the Spirit now that they received salvation.
Connecting these thoughts, asking good questions and using the relevant scripture will bring revelation to the members.
The following is just a guideline for the leader to discover his/own flow of the topic:
- What are the things/feelings we associate with being naked?
- Where did man discover he was naked?
- Why did Adam and Eve feel the need to cover themselves?
- What are the things we use to cover our own nakedness with?
Pride, arrogance, gossip etc.
- Was Adam and Eve’s covering sufficient?
- What does it mean to walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit?
- Why is it possible for us to walk according to the Spirit?
- How does it look for one to walk according to the Spirit?
- Who can name a few of the fruit?
- Why would you want to bare fruit etc…
The shame of the flesh and the sin of Adam is now covered with the blood of Jesus. After Jesus died and established the new covenant, God pour out the Holy Spirit. We are walking in the final promise and we now have the option to walk in the Spirit and to bare fruit.
This is a beautiful thing and the message should end with excitement.
First song or two should be celebratory. Choose songs that lifts up the name of Jesus and songs about the Holy Spirit. Suggest that members ask God to fill them and give revelation of their own lives.
Give opportunity to give lives to Jesus
Pray for things that the members identified they want to let go of (things keeping them from baring fruit)
Let Holy Spirit move
Other Pointer Ideas:
Take not of what the members wanted to let go of and follow up. Also further motivate them to deny themselves and to Love Jesus.