Where Is Your Nineveh?
To help members realise that they all have purpose as a Christian and that part of the great commission, given by Christ, is to make disciples of the people around us.
Book of Jonah (Selected parts can be read but the whole story is of relevance)
A fun game of pin the tail on the whale. (like pin the tail on the donkey but a whale instead)
uGroup leader develops on message, supported by the following facts:
- Jonah was sent by God to minister to Nineveh. (Just like we are sent by Christ in Matthew 28:16-20)
- He was obstinate and repeatedly refused. (Just like we sometimes are reluctant to do what God expects from us.)
- Jonah tried running away from God by climbing onto a boat, which subsequently almost sank because of his disobedience. (We sometimes can stunt the growth of other Christians due to our disobedience, especially in our capacity of leadership.)
- After Jonah was thrown overboard he had to be swallowed by a big fish before he realised that God’s plan for him had to be better than where he was at that moment. (It is not necessary for us to go all the way down “into the whale” before we start listening to God. A wise man listens to instruction – Proverbs 12:15)
- Jonah was spit out right onto the beach in front of Nineveh – top complete his mission. (We are right where we need to be, we can minister to anyone around us, we do not need to wait for a special sign or supernatural message.)
- Jonah ended up saving thousands of people (We never know how much impact our words can have)
This is the main message in this topic but the uGroup leader can also expand on this message and talk about the tree that Jonah asked God for, God made and eventually destroyed. This is an additional topic that can be discussed but is not the core message of this topic.
Any songs but possibly select songs that have to do with purpose, being sent or listening to the word of God.
Some people feel that they do not have a place that they can minister to, or that they are not equipped to teach others. Minister to these specifically.