The aim of this uGroup is to teach the members about prayer. Why prayer is important, how should we pray, and how to encourage members to pray.
- Matthew 6:5-8
Any fun and welcoming Icebreaker that gets the members moving, on their feet, where all the members can participate in. If there are new members be careful not to create a space where they feel exposed or uncomfortable.
Asking the following relevant questions:
- What is prayer?
- Talking to God
- It is a direct address to God
- Place were we admit our need
- Why is it important to pray?
- Prayer connects us with God
- Prayer develops our relationship with God
- It demonstrates our trust and dependence upon God
- With prayer, we make requests to God.
- To enjoy His presence
- We declare our love to Him in prayer.
- It keeps us from temptation (Mat 26:41)
- Helps us make decisions (Luke 6:12-13) – Jesus prayed to pick His apostles
- Prayerlessness is a sin and weakens our ability to hear Him (1 Sam 12:23)
- How should we pray?
- We pray to the Father in the name of Jesus (John 16:23) by the power/leading of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:26).
- Prayer must be offered in faith (James 1:6)
- We should pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
- We need to pray always and not lose heart (Luke 18)
- We should pray fervently (James 5:16)
- What can keep/hinder us from praying?
- Unconfessed sin and guilt
- Motives hinder our prayers
- Unforgiveness towards others
- Unbelief and doubt
- What is not prayer?
- Prayer is not seeking our own will but seeking to align ourselves with the will of God.
- Prayer does not have to be eloquent or long.
- The payer is not vain repetitions.
- Prayer does not change God, it changes my walk.
- Prayer is not always easy but it is always powerful.
- If payer becomes your habit, miracles will become your lifestyle.