Praying in tongues
- The aim of this uGroup is to help members have a better understanding of what praying in tongues is.
- To stir a hunger in the members to pray in tongues.
- To minister to members for them to receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit and to start praying in their tongues.
- 1 Cor 14:2
- 1 Cor 14:4
- Luke 11:9-11
Any fun and welcoming Icebreaker that gets the members moving, on their feet, where all the members can participate in. If there are new members be careful not to create a space where they feel exposed or uncomfortable.
It is very important that the uGroup leader has a strong conviction regarding praying in tongues. He/she must be ready to answer questions regarding this topic with confidence.
Start by reading the following passage:
- 1 Cor 14:14
Introduce the message by asking the following questions:
- What is this praying in tongues that the scripture is speaking about?
Listen attentively to the answers because there may be misconceptions.
After everyone answered, explain in your own words what praying in tongues is. Ensure that all members understand what it is to pray in tongues.
- Can anyone pray in tongues? And if not, who can pray in tongues? (Acts 19:5-6, 1 Cor 14:5)
Try to make sure everyone understands what praying in tongues is and who can pray in tongues.
- Why do we pray in tongues?
This is the most important question of the evening because a hunger to pray in tongues should be stirred.
Scriptures that can be used to build a case for praying in tongues: 1 Cor 14:4, Jude 20, 1 Cor 14:2, Eph 6:18 (Spiritual warfare).
If the members do not know why we should pray in tongues or if the participation of the group is low, it is recommended that you read a verse and then ask a question. Ex. Read 1 Cor 14:4 and then ask the group “What happens to our spirits when we pray in tongues?”
At this stage of the uGroup, the members should feel like there is this amazing weapon that they can have, and they should desire to have it.
- How do you guys think does one receive the Holy Spirit and start praying in tongues?
This gives a good platform to point the members back to God and His purpose and intentions regarding praying in tongues. Read Luke 11:9-11.